AKHAN’s Commitment to Midwest, Domestic Manufacturing
By Adam Khan, Founder
July 12, 2022
The last two years have been a massive strain on the global supply chain. There are detrimental product shortages across all industries, but it is especially important to protect high-tech materials from falling out of focus. Even more importantly, the nation must prioritize the manufacturing of these high-tech materials domestically.
AKHAN is proud to be headquartered in Gurnee, IL, in the heart of America’s Midwest. We understand the massive benefit that comes when high tech materials are produced domestically. These current supply chain issues are a real-time reminder of why our nation cannot grow to be so reliant on foreign manufacturers; it is not only a damage to the economy but also a damage to national security along with the environment.
With these struggles in mind, the Biden Administration is beginning to prioritize domestic manufacturing for small-to-mid sized companies. With the introduction of AM Forward, the Administration hopes to create more resilient supply chains through the increase of domestic manufacturing, leading to more Americans buying things that were actually made in the country they live in.
In addition to AM Forward, the Administration is urging Congress to pass the Bipartisan Innovation Act which would create a Supply Chain Office within the Department of Commerce that would support additive manufacturing and invest in regional tech hubs, like the Midwest.
Domestic Manufacturing Benefits
So, why all the emphasis on this domestic manufacturing, especially that of high-tech materials? Well, just some of the ways the nation benefits from domestic high-tech production are:
- Saving time and money – the shorter distance products have to travel, the quicker the sales process is. Right now, our reliance on foreign manufacturers is causing the national economy to drag each day but when the manufacturing focus is shifted to domestic factories, you’ll find the process from production to sale move much quicker. This acceleration gives the economy a boost at a time when it is desperately struggling.
- Defense and security – supply chain issues can pose a threat to our national security. Bolstering high tech domestic manufacturing helps the Department of Defense continue normal operations instead of relying on outside suppliers. Not only does the accelerated process that comes with domestic manufacturing improve the economy, but it also improves our safety and security as a nation.
- Environmentally friendly – ocean shipping is one of the biggest emitters of greenhouse gasses. We’re living in a time where every industry needs to figure out what they can do to help with the climate crisis. Domestic manufacturing massively cuts down on the production of greenhouse gas emissions. Simply put: products traveling fewer miles means a smaller carbon footprint.
- Reduced cost for deliveries – companies stand to save millions when manufacturing domestically. It saves them significantly on inbound and outbound delivery and shipping costs.
- More jobs in America – when companies choose to keep their manufacturing in the United States, they’re creating more local jobs that would otherwise be outsourced to other nations. With domestic manufacturing, you’re not only stimulating the economy with your accelerated sales process but you’re also stimulating it through the creation of new jobs.
The Advantage of the Midwest
AKHAN is proud to be firmly located within the American Midwest, in Gurnee, IL. Perhaps not always the first place one thinks of when it comes to tech and manufacturing, but the industries are undoubtedly burgeoning in the area.
Look no further than the Argonne National Laboratory, located in the greater Chicago area, an impressive multidisciplinary science and engineering research center. There, some of the nation’s brightest minds work with one another to answer the biggest questions facing humanity. These are individuals who are bringing their ideas, expertise and work to the Midwest.
Institutions, such as Argonne, where AKHAN’s Diamond Tech received early support, are bringing more and more top-tier talent to the Midwest, in addition to a plethora of great schools, priming their students for industry success like University of Michigan and The University of Chicago. The more bright minds that come to the Midwest for education, the more the Midwest will see them working within the area, further bolstering our tech and manufacturing landscape.
Today’s significant supply chain concerns are showing no discernible signs of easing any time soon, which is why we must manufacture our high-tech materials at home. AKHAN stands firmly in Gurnee, IL and will continue to do so for years to come, not just because it’s what is best for the company but also because it’s what is best for the Village, the country, the economy and the environment. Top-tier talent will continue to come this way and manufacturing prioritization from the government is sure to be an asset as well.